I’ve been waiting for my mountain biking shoes to come in so I could install my SPD pedals on my commuting rig. I’ve been using my road shoes, which makes stopping at the store, and even walking into my building, dangerous. Well, the shoes finally arrived and so I hopped outside to change out my pedals.
My road pedals came off with just about the right amount of resistance. I then threaded on the left pedal with no problem, but I couldn’t get the right side (drive side) pedal to thread on. After closer inspection, I noticed the outside of the threads were all mashed down. I’m really conscientious not to cross thread anything (my high school job was changing tires and there is a feel you develop when something is correct and when something is cross threading). I checked the threads on the pedal I had just removed and they were fine, and went on fine to a crank I had laying around.
My next bright idea was to remove my drive side crank and try out the other crank I had. I knew it would be a slim chance of actually working, but it was worth a shot. Insert crank extractor, check. Extract crank, no check. I pulled the threads out of the crank, which left the crank still attached to the bike and no way to really get the crank off. Since the bike came from BikesDirect, it is highly likely that they over tightened the cranks when putting them on. Then I rode on it for a 1.5 yrs and probably close to 5000 miles.
My wife had to leave, so I was put on baby duty and left to think about what to do. I did some research and came up with 3 options:
- Get a gear puller
- Pound it off – which was a good option considering the crank isn’t useable anymore
- Cut it off with a hacksaw
I modified option #2. I squirted some penetrating oil all along the square taper. I then “cleaned” up the threads and re-inserted the crank puller. I found some wrenches to remove table saw blades for a table saw I no longer have and used that to pry against the crank and bottom bracket. I also boiled some water and poured it over the crank (supposedly when the aluminum heats up it expands).
So, I start with the crank extractor and turn until it is mildly difficult. Then I pry with the tablesaw wrench. Crank extractor. Pry. Crank Extractor. You get the point. I finally worked the crank off. I can already tell the other crank isn’t going to work, but hoping to be surprised, I put it on anyway.
Off to the basement I go to fetch the Le Tour (road bike I’ve had for 17 years). It’s in complete disarray.
My rando bike is in for some paint work, so it is completely disassembled, so I grab those handlebars and get to work.
It needs new cables, and I don’t have any new brake cables. So, I dig around and finally find some that will work. Not to mention my rando bike has a hanger on the headset stack, but as long as it pulls, it will work.
About an hour later, here is what I have. Of course, it rains and I have to ride into work with no fenders. BOO! I’m off shopping for new cranks and bottom bracket today.